With only six weeks to go before its worldwide release, Sony Pictures is ramping up their already oppressive marketing blitz for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 even further. The studio has revealed another, and allegedly final, trailer for the film. Take a look, and then, after you’re done, scroll down to read some of my takeaways.
- If I didn’t mention it earlier, I’ll say it now: This thing looks… CONVOLUTED, not to mention expensive. I really hope I’m wrong but with an Oscorp mystery, Peter’s complicated relationship with Harry Osborne, three bad guys in Electro, Rhino and the Green Goblin, plus the Gwen Stacy “will-they, won’t they” angle, this sequel is running a massive risk of flaming out faster than Tobey Maguire’s post-Spider-Man career. Again, I really, really hope I’m wrong, and that Sony, Mark Webb and team have something special on their hands. The world (and Sony) doesn’t need nor want another Spider-Man 3.
- We already knew that the sequel would build on many of the unanswered questions teased in the first film, but this trailer makes it clearer that it’s all going to connect to Chris Cooper’s Norman Osborne (who we briefly see lurking in the shadows).
- This Harry Osborne (a suitably creepy Dane DeHann) is a far cry from James Franco’s conflicted one. He creepy, he’s got that evil twink in his eye, and probably has a lot of daddy issues.
- Hey, there’s Rhino (Paul Giamatti)! There’s Electro (Jamie Foxx)! There’s Green Goblin (DeHaan)! Once again, too much going on! FYI, I’m aware of the Sinister Six and Sony’s grand plans.
- The trailer might be noisy and CG heavy but those effects look awesome!
- I’m sticking to what I said in my review of The Amazing Spider-Man: Andrew Garfield is still a better Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire. He looks even more comfortable in the role this time around.
- I really, really, really hope Emma Stone isn’t wasted here playing damsel in distress. God, I hate that trope!
- “Web design” – clever!
- One final thing: Is Sony trying to hide the fact that Harry is the Goblin? Because there are official shots all over the web (pun unintended) that reveal that he’s under the Goblin garb.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 kicks off the 2014 summer movie season on May 2. I remain cautiously optimistic.